Trump’s Military Parade Could Be Delayed Amid Rising Costs

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

President Donald Trump's proposed military parade may be delayed until next year amid rising costs. 

A Pentagon spokesperson said, “We originally targeted November 10, 2018 for this event but have now agreed to explore opportunities in 2019.” 

A report by CNBC estimates the event would cost close to $92 million. That's $80 million higher that it was originally estimated to cost. 

The parade, which was reportedly inspired by Bastille Day celebrations in France, was originally estimated to cost around $12 million. 

Read more

NYU Medical School Just Gave All Its Students A Full Ride

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

NYU's School of Medicine might get a lot more applications next year.

The university announced Thursday that all current and future MD students will attend med school tuition-free

The Association of American Medical Colleges says 75 percent of med school graduates in 2017 had student loan debt when they finished school. The average amount of that debt was over $190,000.

By giving scholarships to cover tuition, the university wants to give students the opportunity to choose a specialty based on their talents and interests, not based on which type of doctors get paid the most.

For the coming school year, those scholarships will equal over $55,000 per student.

Read more

Democrats Say They’ll Sue If Kavanaugh Info Request Isn’t Fulfilled

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

Democrats say they're prepared to sue if their request for documents relating to Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh isn't fulfilled.

Party members filed a Freedom of Information Act request earlier this month for all documents relating to Kavanaugh's time working for the George W. Bush administration. They said they wanted documents in 20 business days, setting the deadline during Kavanaugh's confirmation hearing. 

Democrats say the documents could shed light on how Kavanaugh would rule as a justice. Republicans say the process has been transparent and that Democrats are purposely stonewalling the process for political gain. 

Read more

Sessions Says DOJ Will Prosecute Those With ‘Undetectable’ Guns

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the Justice Department will "use every available tool" to prosecute people who make or possess undetectable plastic firearms.

The Undetectable Firearms Modernization Act, which has been around in some form for decades, prohibits firearms that don't set off walk-through metal detectors or other major security screening devices.

The Department of Justice issued a statement by Sessions on Thursday saying it would "take action to ensure that individuals who violate the law by making plastic firearms and rendering them undetectable, will be prosecuted to the fullest extent."

But his statement comes after the DOJ filed documents aiming to allow the publication of blueprints for 3D-printed guns, which critics say are largely untraceable.

Last month, a federal judge temporarily blocked the online publication of blueprints after several states and the District of Columbia sued. They argued it's hard for metal detectors to spot the firearms and that web blueprints will make it easier for people who aren't allowed own guns to get their hands on them.

Read more

Vatican Feels ‘Shame And Sorrow’ Over Recent Sexual Abuse Report

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

The Vatican responded to a recent grand jury report alleging decades of child sexual abuse by priests in Pennsylvania. 

In a statement a spokesperson said Pope Francis "condemns unequivocally the sexual abuse of minors" and called the alleged abuse "criminal and morally reprehensible." 

The report says more than 300 priests at six Catholic dioceses in Pennsylvania have been "credibly accused" of abusing more than 1,000 children over several decades. As of Thursday, the Pope himself had not yet commented on the report.

The Vatican spokesman also noted most of the report's abuse accusations took place before 2002. That year the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops established new policies for addressing allegations of child sexual abuse by clergy members. 

Additional reporting for this story provided by Newsy affiliate CNN.

Read more

Official: HHS Doesn’t Have To Check On Kids Released From Its Custody

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

A Trump administration official said the federal government doesn't have the authority or responsibility to keep tabs on migrant children released from its custody. His testimony comes a day after a congressional report found there wasn't a government agency specifically tasked with monitoring those children's care.

Health and Human Services official Jonathan White told a Senate subcommittee Thursday that HHS isn't a law enforcement agency and there's no law mandating the department continue monitoring a child's well-being after they're placed with a sponsor. 

HHS is required to follow up with a phone call 30 days after placement, but sponsors aren't required to take that call. The subcommittee's report found out of more than 7,000 children the government attempted to contact, officials were "unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475" children, and 28 had reportedly run away.

It's an ongoing issue. The Senate Subcommittee on Investigations has been looking into it since 2015. The problem was amplified after the Trump administration started implementing a "zero-tolerance" policy at the border. That policy put more than 2,500 unaccompanied children into HHS care in May and June.

Two subcommittee members, a Republican and a Democrat, said they were working on legislation to assign responsibility for monitoring children once they're released from federal custody. 

Read more

Hundreds Of Newspapers To Trump: ‘We Are Not The Enemy’

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

"Trump's media attacks are dangerous.

"We are not the enemy; We are the people.

"Hate the press all you want — we'll keep reporting."

These types of headlines could be read from coast to coast on Thursday as more than 350 newspapers took part in a collective effort to stand up to President Donald Trump's anti-media rhetoric. 

The project was spearheaded by The Boston Globe's editorial staff to show readers that Trump's ramped-up attacks on the press are "unacceptable."

Joining the effort, The New York Times' editorial board writes: "Criticizing the news media — for underplaying or overplaying stories, for getting something wrong — is entirely right. ... But insisting that truths you don’t like are 'fake news' is dangerous to the lifeblood of democracy. And calling journalists the 'enemy of the people' is dangerous, period."

SEE MORE: Local News Is Shrinking — What Happens When The Watchdogs Disappear?

Judging by the considerable number of news outlets that joined the Globe's call to action, there's no denying that the project was successful. But it's unclear if it will change the minds of those who already distrust the media. 

One Politico writer argues the collective effort "is sure to backfire" and provide Trump with "circumstantial evidence of the existence of a national press cabal that has been convened solely to oppose him."

As for Trump supporters, more and more of them seem to agree with his assertion that the media is "the enemy of the people." 

As many as 51 percent of surveyed Republicans say that's how they view the media, while 36 percent believe it is an important part of democracy. That's according to a Quinnipiac poll released this week. 

The poll also shows that 44 percent of American voters are concerned that Trump’s attacks on the media will lead to violence against journalists. It's worth noting that concern levels are much lower among Republicans.

So far in 2018, 31 journalists have been physically attacked in the U.S., according to the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker. That includes five employees of the Capital Gazette who were killed in June. The suspect in that shooting, who's been charged with murder, told police he had a grudge against the newspaper.

Read more

For The First Time, The FDA Has Approved A Generic EpiPen Alternative

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

For the first time ever, the Food and Drug Administration has approved a generic version of the EpiPen.

On Thursday, the FDA announced a non-brand version of the pen by Teva Pharmaceuticals. There are currently two name-brand alternatives to the EpiPen.

The timing of the approval, right as back-to-school season begins, could be good news for people who rely on the pens. There's reportedly a spike in purchases around this time of year, and that can lead to a "limited availability of EpiPen in certain areas in the U.S," according to an FDA spokesperson.

It also follows criticism about rising prices, including from lawmakers. Mylan, the maker of EpiPen, raised its price by more than 500 percent over the course of about 10 years. 

FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said the unprecedented move is part of "our longstanding commitment to advance access to lower cost, safe and effective generic alternatives." 

Additional reporting by Newsy affiliate CNN

Read more

DOJ, DEA Want Drug Companies To Produce Less Opioids In 2019

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

The Trump administration wants to help combat the nation's opioid crisis by reducing manufacturing limits.

The government sets production quotas for Schedule I and II drugs. On Thursday, the Department of Justice and the DEA announced their plan to lower the 2019 quotas for six of the most frequently abused opioids — including fentanyl, hydrocodone, morphine and oxycodone.

new estimate from the CDC says over 72,000 people died of a drug overdose in 2017. The agency estimates nearly 48,000 of those deaths were caused by opioids. 

This is the third year in a row production quotas have been decreased for certain opioids. But that's just one way the Trump administration is trying to tackle the crisis. 

Attorney General Jeff Sessions created a team to focus on investigating doctors and pharmacies who push opioids. And the DOJ has joined some lawsuits that states have filed against some drug manufacturers. 

But Thursday in a Cabinet meeting, President Trump suggested going a step further. He wants Sessions to file his own federal lawsuit against certain companies who supply opioids. 

Read more

Russian Satellite Maneuvers Are Making The US Nervous

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

The U.S. is raising red flags about Russia's space program, just as the White House is considering making a new military branch in space.

The U.S. claims a satellite Russia launched last year exhibited some "very abnormal behavior" that could threaten other satellites in orbit. Russia says the accusations are unfounded.

According to Russia, the satellite in question is only inspecting other Russian satellites for maintenance. But its movements apparently didn't line up with its stated mission, and whatever it was doing was apparently strange enough to worry the U.S.

The idea of using satellites to monitor and even patch up other satellites sounds pretty benign. But anything that can get close enough to inspect a friendly satellite could also be used to disable or destroy enemy satellites in orbit.

That's a major vulnerability for the U.S. military. Satellites coordinate almost every military operation, and there aren't really any effective protections to keep them from being tampered with.

SEE MORE: A Space Force Would Probably Bring New Weapons With It

This comes as the White House is floating its plans for a U.S. Space Force. Pointing out potential bad behavior from other countries could make it easier for the Trump administration to justify its plans for a military presence in space.

And rogue satellite-killers are just one possible threat satellites have to face. Russia, China and the U.S. all have the capability to field systems that can take out satellites from the ground.

Currently, international treaties only bar weapons of mass destruction from being fielded in outer space. The U.S. has rejected an international ban on conventional weapons in space pushed forward by Russia as ineffective and full of loopholes.

Read more