USC Agrees To A $215 Million Settlement For Gyno’s Alleged Harassment

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

The University of Southern California announced Friday it will pay $215 million dollars to patients treated by a former gynecologist accused of sexual misconduct. The settlement will give a minimum of $2,500 to each student who saw Dr. George Tyndall, even if they didn't press charges. This comes one day after 93 former students came forward in two new lawsuits against him.

"The impact of my appointments with Dr. Tyndall went far beyond just discomfort while I was with him. It has impacted my ability to trust male physicians about sensitive topics and even with touching my body," Marie Nowacki, a former USC student, said.

CNN reports Tyndall was the only full-time gynecologist at the school's student health facility for 30 years. In July, more than 50 students and alumni filed lawsuits against the former USC doctor, saying he sexually abused, harassed and molested them. 

One of the women who came forward Thursday described feeling intimidated by Tyndall after she said he made "racially charged, sexist comments about black women's fertility, sexuality, and physicality."

"During small talk, after inquiring what I studied and my career aspirations, I shared that I was interested in opening businesses in low-income black communities, to which Dr. Tyndall responded, and I quote, 'You should open up more clinics so they can stop having so many babies,'" Shernae Hughes, a recent USC graduate, said.

The Los Angeles Times reports more than 460 people have taken legal action against USC over the matter. The University of Southern California's president stepped down following criticism over the way the school handled the claims of sexual harassment.

Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.

Read more

US and South Korea Scrap Military Exercise For Diplomatic Reasons

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

The U.S. and South Korea are scrapping one of the biggest joint military exercises in the world.

The Pentagon made the announcement Friday, saying it was suspending the exercise to aid in the ongoing diplomatic process with North Korea. 

The North has long called for an end to the exercises, which it has called provocative. President Donald Trump has also criticized the exercises, and in particular their cost. After his summit with Kim Jong Un in Singapore in June, the president announced he would suspend the "war games," as he called them.  

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited Pyongyang earlier this month, to hash out plans for another summit between Kim and President Trump. 

Additional reporting by Newsy affiliate CNN.

Read more

House Dems: Trump Might’ve Had Financial Motive In Halting FBI HQ Move

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

House Democrats say President Donald Trump was more involved in halting plans to move the FBI headquarters out of Washington than previously revealed.

In a letter to the General Services administrator on Thursday, the lawmakers released internal documents that show the president took part in meetings about the relocation — and those meetings weren't disclosed to Congress. 

They're concerned the decision to stop the relocation could've had a financial motive, benefiting the president. 

Here's why: The FBI building is just a block away from the Trump International Hotel. Democrats argue that before he became president, Trump was in favor of moving the building away from Washington and using the land for downtown development. They claim now that he's a federal employee and can't purchase the property, he wanted the FBI to stay there so a competitor couldn't buy the land. 

In a statement to media outlets, the White House denied the claim, saying Trump's decision was based on saving taxpayer money and the fact that FBI leadership didn't want to move. 

Back in 2017, the General Services Administration canceled the plans to relocate the headquarters, saying there wasn't enough funding to do so. 

Calling it a "conflict of interest," House Democrats have asked for more information on the issue. 

Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN

Read more

This Border Policy Option Is Being Called ‘Separation 2.0’

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

"The desperation of children separated from their parents"

"Protesters taking to the street horrified that immigration officials are ripping families apart"

You're probably not hearing these phrases as often as you did this summer, when the government's separation practice led to a massive outcry. Because of that backlash, President Donald Trump ended the six-week-long policy in June. And thanks to an ongoing lawsuit, most of the separated families have now been reunited.

But as migrant families continue to make the journey to the U.S. in record numbers, the Trump administration is reportedly weighing a new border pilot program that some in the press are already calling "separation 2.0."

The policy, which is still under consideration, is quite different from the forced separations the government carried out over the summer. It's known as the "binary choice" approach because asylum-seeking families would be given two options: remain detained together during the entire duration of their immigration case, or allow children to be released after 20 days while parents stay behind bars. 

Critics are calling the choice faced by migrant parents "impossible." Human Rights First equated the dilemma with "forcing families to choose between indefinite incarceration and family separation."

But government officials see the soaring number of family crossings as sign of an increase in fraudulent asylum claims. They believe that releasing apprehended families pending their court hearing would only make the problem worse. 

A government spokesperson told CBS News that the so-called "catch and release" practice would "incentivize illegal border-crossers to take this dangerous journey because they are unlikely to face consequences for their illegal conduct and in fact will almost certainly be released." 

Besides, the Trump administration believes the "binary choice" policy is legally sound, according to the Washington Post. That's because the same federal judge who ordered the reunification of separated families approved a similar proposal in one of his rulings back in August.

The White House is also tackling the border crossings issue from a different front. It's proposed rules to get rid of an old court ruling restricting how long it can keep minors in immigration detention to 20 days. Lifting that restriction would allow the government to keep families detained together indefinitely. Legal experts say that proposed change will likely face serious challenges in court.

Read more

Federal Judge Sets Sentencing Date For Paul Manafort

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

A federal judge in Virginia has set a sentencing date for Paul Manafort.

The former campaign chairman for President Donald Trump will be sentenced Feb. 8 on eight counts of bank and tax fraud crimes. The judge dismissed 10 additional counts after a jury couldn't reach a verdict on them.

Manafort pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges in a separate trial in Washington, D.C. last month. He could face a sentence of ten years or more in prison. 

Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.

Read more

What Makes California’s Santa Ana Winds So Fierce?

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

October is a windy time for southern California — and the Santa Ana winds aren't your everyday gusts. Thanks to where and when they arrive, these wind events are especially good at spreading infection, knocking out the power, and helping to propel serious wildfires. 

In the fall months, cool air in areas of high pressure over Nevada moves to areas of lower pressure over the Pacific Ocean. That's how we get most wind. But this wind also gets faster and hotter as it flows downhill from higher elevations, and the mountain passes it moves through in California act like a series of funnels that speed it up even more.

By the time this wind hits the coasts of southern California, it can reach major hurricane speeds. Some gusts have registered at more than 150 miles per hour. They can knock down trees and power lines, and even vehicles.

The winds blow around fungal spores that spread the flu-like Valley Fever, and they pick up smoke and ash that can cause respiratory trouble. 

SEE MORE: How Smoke From Wildfires Affects Your Health

And most of all: Hot, fast winds are a recipe for explosive wildfires, especially when they arrive after dry summer spells. Santa Ana winds have fanned some of the most dangerous and destructive fires California has ever seen, and help make October the state's worst month for fires overall.

Read more

The U.S. Is Diverse. Our Teachers — Not So Much.

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

America's demographics are rapidly changing, but the racial and ethnic breakdown of teachers is not keeping pace. 

Overall, from July 2016 through July 2017:

- Hispanics increased 2.1 percent.

- the black population increased 1.2 percent.

- Asian representation went up 3.1 percent.

- the white population dropped by .02 percent.

Now, how that connects to education: From 1987 to 2012, The Department of Education shows that the number of minority teachers more than doubled. 

But minority teachers still represent only about 17 percent of elementary and secondary school teachers, while 44 percent of the students are minorities. 

Why does all this matter? Research from the Learning Policy Institute shows: "Teachers of color boost the performance of students of color." In other words, it closes the achievement gap.

"Many teachers of color report feeling called to teach in low-income communities where positions are often difficult to fill."

Recruiting and retaining minority teachers can be a challenge. The Learning Policy Institute study explained: Some minority teachers try to enter the profession while still in training, but they find a lack of support. Poor working conditions and low salaries make it hard for new teachers to stay in the profession.

It comes down to this, according to the National Education Association: Minority teachers leave the profession at higher rates than white teachers do. 

Meanwhile, the demographics of the students are changing.

Read more

Parliamentary Election Delayed In Kandahar After Taliban Attack

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

The highly-anticipated election in Afghanistan will be delayed one more time in Kandahar. 

Afghans across the country are set to elect a new parliament on October 20. But two days before then, the Taliban killed Kandahar's police chief and intelligence chief. 

On Friday, government officials decided to delay that region's election by one week. 

The Taliban previously pledged to disrupt the country's election, calling it "bogus" and a "malicious American conspiracy."

But Afghanistan's other regions will vote on Saturday as planned. 

Read more

Charlotte Pence On Broken Friendships, Lessons Learned Post-2016

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

One of the vice president's children is opening up about what life was like during the 2016 campaign and the time that followed. 

Charlotte Pence just released "Where You Go: Life Lessons from My Father," which she hopes readers from all walks of life can learn something from. 

"I really hope that people can relate to this book even though it might seem like we have kind of an unrelatable life sometimes," said Charlotte Pence, Vice President Pence's second-oldest child. "I think that there are a lot of lessons that I've learned from my dad and my mom over the years that I hope people would be able to learn from."

One of those lessons, she says, includes learning how to handle disagreements in our current political climate. 

"I think the 2016 election was pretty high, intense emotions for a lot of people and I think, I've heard from a lot of people that kind of lost friends or had disagreements with people just over the course of that election and I wasn't immune to that either. I think that at the end of the day, you really find who your real friends are through situations like that," Pence said. 

While the loss of friendships wasn't something she was prepared to deal with, she mentions in the book that she did anticipate her family would have to deal with criticism being lodged their way. 

"Even if the media is saying something negative or if everyday citizens are saying negative things, that’s actually good, that means that we live in a country where people can speak out against their elected leaders which is not the case in every country. And that’s a really great thing about America," Pence said. 

Unlike President Trump's kids, Charlotte Pence isn't an official member of the administration. She's currently a graduate student at Harvard Divinity School, where she says she's able to learn just as freely as her peers.

"I write about in the book that I try to give people the benefit of the doubt or not have preconceived notions about people before I meet them and I hope people do that with me and honestly my experience has been that they do. Even when people, I’m sure, find out who my dad is and are kind of surprised at first, I think that once you get to know people on an individual level those biases kind of go away. You just get to know somebody as a friend first," she said. 

Read more

Did Andrew Gillum Refuse Help To Get Power On After Hurricane Hermine?

Read more of this story here from Newsy Headlines by Newsy Headlines.


Watch Video

We're closing in on election day, and in Florida that means the possibility of electing the state's first black governor.

Democrat and Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum is facing Republican former U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis in a bid for the office. 

The Republican party is going after Gillum for his mayoral record.  

"After the hurricane, we had no electricity for over a week," a woman said in a Republican party ad. "Utility companies lined up trucks to restore power. But as mayor, Andrew Gillum refused help from workers. The trucks just sat while people suffered."

That's a misleading claim. Here's some context.

After Hurricane Hermine in 2016, thousands of people in Florida's Panhandle lost power. Florida Power and Light, or FPL, offered to help get the lights back on.

Tallahassee's general manager of utilities at the time reportedly thought the city already had enough help and didn't want to create unsafe conditions by saturating the area with workers. So, he didn't jump on FPL's offer. A city spokesperson who talked to Politifact backed that up, saying the city had already accepted all the help it could safely utilize.

Officials at the time told Politifact that, ultimately, the decision of whether or not to accept more help fell to the utilities manager, not the mayor. 

Regardless, city and state officials got plenty of criticism for how they handled power restoration after Hermine. Republicans argue Gillum bears some responsibility because he didn't speak up. But others have countered, saying he approved an agreement already in place. Shortly after the storm, Gillum defended officials' response. 

Whether the situation was properly handled or not, it's important to understand the context. Suggesting Gillum single-handedly refused help from utility companies is misleading, and the ad attacking Gillum leaves an inaccurate impression. 

Read more